Test your knowledge of Noah, his ark and the rainbow by taking the following short quiz. Hover your cursor over the answer buttons for the answers. Answers also appear at the bottom of the page, in case the answer buttons don't work.
1. Why did the Lord decide to destroy mankind in a flood?
a) they had become wicked and had evil in their hearts
b) they had built idols to false gods
c) the number of men was too great for the land to support
d) they had broken the Ten Commandments
2. Who built the ark?
3. Why was the ark built?
a) To move the animals to another country
b) To save Noah’s family and representatives of all animals of the world from destruction
c) As an example to the neighbors to do the same
d) To prove it could be done
4. How big was Noah's ark?
a) 150 ft. long, 30 ft. wide, 15 ft. high
b) 300 ft. long, 75 ft. wide, 40 ft. high
c) 450 ft. long, 75 ft. wide, 45 ft. high
d) 450 ft. long, 150 ft. wide, 75 ft. high
5. How many floors were there in the ark?
6. How many pairs of each "clean" animal did Noah take on the ark?
a) one pair
b) two pairs
c) three pairs
d) seven pairs
7. Who shut the ark?
d) there was no door
8. How long were they in the ark before it started to rain?
d) they entered the ark when it started to rain
9. How old was Noah when the flood began?
a) 80 years
b) 120 years
c) 200 years
d) 600 years
10. How many people rode on the ark?
a) two people
b) four people
c) eight people
d) sixteen people
11. How long did the rain last?
a) 20 days
b) 40 days
c) 150 days
d) 365 days
12. Where did the ark come to rest after the flood?
d) the mountains of Ararat
13. How long did Noah stay on the ark before the Lord told him it was time to get out?
a) 40 days and nights
b) 150 days
c) over seven months
d) over one year
14. What animal did Noah send out to see if the land was dry?
a) an eagle
b) a dove
c) a lamb
d) an owl
15. God made a covenant with Noah and his sons to never again send a flood to destroy the earth. What was the sign of this covenant?
a) a dove
b) a rainbow
c) a cloud
d) a star
16. How old was Noah when he died?
a) 650 years
b) 850 years
c) 950 years
d) over 1000 years
17. What does a rainbow look like from an airplane?
a) a straight line
b) a circle
c) a white cloud
d) an arc with the colors in reverse order
18. How many colors are there in the rainbow?
19. In a “double” rainbow, the secondary rainbow
a) is an optical illusion
b) has different colors than the first one
c) is the lower one
d) has the same colors as the primary rainbow, but in reverse order
1. a) they had become wicked and had evil in their hearts - Genesis 6:5-7: The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth--men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air--for I am grieved that I have made them."
2. c) Noah - by God's direction & specifications
3. b) To save Noah’s family and representatives of all animals of the world from destruction (Genesis 6:18-19)
4. c) 450 ft. long, 75 ft. wide, 45 ft. high - Genesis 6:15: This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high.
5. b) three floors filled with rooms - Gen 6:14 & 16
6. d) seven pairs - "Clean" animals were those used for eating and sacrifice. Genesis 7:2-3: Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.
7. c) God - "And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the LORD shut him in." Genesis 7:16
8. b) seven - Genesis 7:4
9. d) 600 years - Genesis 7:6: Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth.
10. c) eight people - Genesis 7:13: On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark.
11. b) 40 days - Genesis 7:4, 7:17 - Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made… For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth.
12. d) the mountains of Ararat - Genesis 8:4: and on the seventeenth day of the seventh month the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.
13. d) over one year - Actually it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. They entered in the second month. In the seventh month on the seventeenth day of the month the ark rested. In the tenth month they could see the tops of the trees. So Just short of a year they were on the ark. They left in the second month on the seven and twentieth day of the month, when God said to Noah, “Come out of the ark, you and your wife and your sons and their wives. .” (Gen 8:4-5 7:11 8:13-14)
14. b) a dove - Genesis 8:8-11: Then he sent out a dove to see if the water had receded from the surface of the ground. But the dove could find no place to set its feet because there was water over all the surface of the earth; so it returned to Noah in the ark. He reached out his hand and took the dove and brought it back to himself in the ark. He waited seven more days and again sent out the dove from the ark. When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth.
15. b) a rainbow - Genesis 9:8-15: Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him: "I now establish my covenant with you and with your descendants after you and with every living creature that was with you--the birds, the livestock and all the wild animals, all those that came out of the ark with you--every living creature on earth. I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.
16. c) 950 years -
Genesis 9:29: Altogether, Noah lived 950 years, and then he died.
17. b) a circle - How appropriate this is since the shape of the circle conveys the sentiment of infinity or eternity.
18. c) seven - We normally say a rainbow has the colors red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. However, the colors of a rainbow are actually a continuous spectrum, not a set of discrete colors. This is where the saying "all the colors of the rainbow" comes from - there are many. However we typically only have specific words for a smaller number of colors which are part of the rainbow of colors. Rainbows also go into the infrared and ultraviolet, but we can not see this with our eyes.
19. d) has the same colors as the primary rainbow, but in reverse order - A secondary rainbow is produced by light which has reflected twice inside raindrops. The second reflection inside the water drop reverse the order of the light like looking at writing in a mirror makes it look backwards.