National Clown Week is August 1-7
In honor of National Clown Week in August, see how much you know about these entertainers.
Take our brief Quiz below and become an ice cream guru!
(To find the answers, hover your mouse over the clown following each question.
Answers also appear at the end of the quiz,
just in case some clown removed them!)
For past Trivia pages, be sure to visit our Trivia Vault!
1. In clowning, there is a hierarchy, with the White Face clown at the high end and the _________ at the low end.
B) class clown
C) girl clown
D) Auguste clown
2. Would-be clowns can imitate another clown in everything except the
3. To trademark a clown face, a clown sends a photo of his/her face into the Clown and Character Registry, where the face is then painted on a _________________ and kept in the registry.
A) 12x16 inch canvas
C) goose egg
4. In Russia, clowns are looked up to with the same prestige that ballerinas or pianists enjoy. In order to join the Moscow State Circus, clowns must go to the Moscow State Circus College for Circus and Variety Arts for ________________ .
A) 7 years
B) 8 months
C) 2 years
D) 4 years
5. There are between ________ and _______ clowns in the world today.
A) 750 and 1,000
B) 50,000 and 80,000
C) 2,000 and 7,000
D) 12,500 and 13,000
6. What famous clown was originally created by Capitol Records in the 1940s as a character featured in a series of children's records?
7. Bozo the Clown wears size _______ shoes.
8. Santa Claus is the most widely recognized face in the world. Who comes in second?
B) Emmett Kelly
C) Ronald McDonald
D) Clem Kadiddlehopper
9. Ronald McDonald is never seen promoting the McDonald's salads because
A) the salads are targeted at an older audience
B) it’s too difficult to eat a salad while acting like a clown
C) salads are not a huge money-maker for the corporation
D) hamburgers are the big sellers
10. In August 2003, Ronald was named McDonald's
A) official spokesclown
B) "Chief Happiness Officer"
C) “Employee of the Year”
D) corporate clown of the century
11. In Japan, Ronald McDonald is called
A) Mickey Dee
B) Ronald Mac
C) Donald McDonald
D) Mac Donald
12. Due to the controversy over fast food, critics have likened Ronald McDonald to
A) Joe Camel
B) Big Bird
D) Hungry Hungry Hippo
song "Send in the Clowns" has been sung by many performers, but who wrote the
Emmett Kelly was a famous clown with the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey
Circus and was loved by thousands of circus goers. What was the name of his
classic clown character?
15. The first clown mentioned in history was in the court of Pharoah Dadkeri-Assi during Egypts' fifth dynasty. What was he?
A) a magician
B) a seer
C) a pygmy
D) a giant
16. Who took "Send In The Clowns" to No.6 in 1975?
A) Anne Murray
B) Judy Collins
C) Barbra Streisand
D) Toni Tenille
17. What song claims, "Oh, and while the King was looking down/The jester stole his thorny crown..."
A) “American Pie”
B) “Tears of a Clown”
C) “Send in the Clowns”
D) “Clowns on Parade”
18. "Oh yes, I'm the ______________/Just laughing and gay like a clown". The Platters took this classic to No.5 in 1956. Which famous singer took it to No.4 in 1987?
A) happiest man in the world
B) great pretender
C) man on the flying trapeze
D) lucky but lonely man
19. What clown did the Everly Brothers sing about in the 1960’s?
B) Cathy’s Clown
C) Charlie Chaplin
D) Little Susie
20. What Stephen King novel featured a murderous clown figure called Pennywise?
21. In baseball's Negro Leagues, what city was the home to the Clowns?
22. What winner of a Best Actress Oscar co-wrote the title tune for the 1965 Best Picture nominee "A Thousand Clowns"?
23. What rock singer ran for mayor of San Francisco in 1979 with a platform requiring all downtown businessmen to wear clown suits?
24. Red Skelton’s characters included all the following except:
A) Clem Kadiddlehopper and Sheriff Deadeye
B) Freddy the Freeloader and the Mean Widdle Kid
C) Puff-a-Lump and Paddy McPugg
D) San Fernando Red and Bolivar Shagnasty
25. Known as “America’s Favorite Clown”, Red Skelton signed of from his shows with
A) “Good night, and God bless”
B) “Now it’s time to say good-bye”
C) “Thanks for sharing a laugh or two”
D) “See you next week”
1. A) hobo – Because of this understood hierarchy, an Auguste clown can never play a trick on a White Face clown, but a white face clown can play a trick on anybody.
2. D) face – A clown's face is his/her trademark, which cannot be copied by any other clown. The clothes and act of a clown, however, can be imitated.
3. C) goose egg – The tradition of painting the clown face on a goose egg dates back to the 1500s when clowns would paint their face on an egg so they would remember what the face looked like.
4. A) 7 years – In the United States, clown hopefuls attend the Ringling Brothers/Barnum and Bailey College in Baraboo, Wis., for two months.
5. B) 50,000 and 80,000
6. A) Bozo
7. D) 83AAA
8. C) Ronald McDonald – Known as "The smile known around the world," Ronald McDonald is second only to Santa Claus in terms of recognition. According to the book Fast Food Nation (2001), 96 percent of schoolchildren in the U.S. can identify Ronald McDonald. Only Santa Claus was more commonly recognized.
9. A) the salads are targeted at an older audience
10. B) "chief happiness officer"
11. C) Donald McDonald – because of difficulty in pronouncing the letter "R"
12. A) Joe Camel - the former mascot of Camel cigarettes.
13. B) Stephen Sondheim
14. C) Weary Willie
15. C) a pygmy
16. B) Judy Collins
17. A) “American Pie” by Don McLean, in 1972. It peaked at No.2.
18. B) great pretender
19. B) Cathy’s Clown
20. D) It
21. C) Indianapolis
22. B) B) Judy Holliday
23. D) Jello Biafra
24. C) Puff-a-Lump and Paddy McPugg – He did, however, portray Willy Lump Lump and Cauliflower McPugg!
25. A) “Good night, and God bless”