Peachy Trivia Quiz
See how much you know about this sweet, juicy fruit.
(To find the answers, hover your mouse over the peach after each question.
Answers also appear at the end of the quiz.)
Peachy Posers (top)
1. The ancient Chinese revered the peach a symbol of
A) long life and immortality
B) love and sweetness
C) fuzz and lint
D) good fortune and good health
2. Peaches were once known as
A) “Love pomes”
B) “Persian apples”
C) “Fantastic fuzzies”
D) Citrus fruits
3. In Queen Victoria's day, no meal was complete without a fresh peach presented in a
A) Fruit bowl
B) Gold cup
C) Fancy cotton napkin
D) Carved wooden box
4. Peaches are the second largest commercial fruit crop in the U.S., second only to
5. Today's peaches aren't as fuzzy as they used to be. This is due to
A) Genetic altering by farmers
B) Pesticides have resulted in mutations among peach varieties
C) Mechanical brushing
D) Global warming has resulted in a decrease in peach fuzz
6. The peach is a member of the __________ family.
7. Cling peaches are thus called because
A) They “cling” to the branch stems
B) They grow in pairs, “clinging” together
C) The flesh “clings” to the pit
D) They were developed by Josephus R. Cling, a farmer in Europe
8. Peaches are a significant source of
A) Vitamin A
B) Vitamin B12
C) Vitamin C
D) Vitamin D
9. Members of the peach family include
10. White-fleshed peaches were not popular because
A) People thought they were unripe
B) The taste was bitter
C) They were too hard
D) They softened too quickly
11. True or False: If you planted a peach pit, a tree would potentially grow and would start producing fruit in about 10 years.
Peachy Places (top)
12. The peach is the state fruit of
B) South Carolina
13. The peach blossom is the state flower of
A) South Carolina
14. What city is known as the Peach Capital of the World?
A) Atlanta, Georgia
B) Savannah, Georgia
C) Peachburg, South Carolina
D) Johnston, South Carolina
15. What was the name of the hangout for the guys and gals on the teen drama BEVERLY HILLS 90210?
A) The Peach Tree Lounge
B) The Peach Pit Restaurant
C) Peaches and Cream
D) The Orchard
Peachy People (top)
16. What kind of peach does Cosmo Kramer, a character on Seinfeld, eat?
A) Clingstone peach
B) Freestone peach
C) Mackinaw peach
D) None of the above – he eats oranges
17. What affectionate nickname was bestowed on tomboy Letitia “Buddy” Lawrence by big brother Willie Lawrence on the domestic drama FAMILY (ABC, 1976-80)?
C) Prickly Peach
D) Peachie Poo
18. What was the nickname used by the father of public defender Christine Sullivan (Markie Post) to describe his daughter on the sitcom NIGHT COURT (NBC, 1984-92)?
A) Peachie Poo
D) Prickly Peach
19. What TV show featured a character named Captain Peter "Wrongway" Peachfuzz?
A) The Dukes of Hazzard
B) The cartoon Rocky & Bullwinkle
C) Mayberry RFD
20. What TV show included the Rockford Peaches?
A) A League of Their Own
B) The Rockford Files
D) Our Gang
21. An American Indian on the railroad adventure CASEY JONES was named
A) Peach Tree Smith
B) Sam Peachpit
C) Mike Peachman
D) Peachman Marcus
22. “The Georgia Peach” is
A) Blanche Devereaux, on “Golden Girls”
B) George Foreman
C) Ty Cobb
D) Scarlett O’Hara
23. True or False: Peach Melba was named in honor of Australian-born soprano Dame Nellie Melba, the reigning diva at Covent Garden in the 1920's.
24. True or False: Basketball got its name from half-bushel peach baskets.
25. “You're a real peach” originated from
A) People who were empathetic to others, showing a “softness”
B) The tradition of giving a peach to the friend you liked
C) The practice of people giving “warm fuzzies” to others
D) An advertising slogan in the 1930’s
Peachy Pastels (top)
26. What Crayola color was renamed “peach”?
27. In fashion, peach projects
B) An upbeat attitude
D) Sallow complexion
28. In dreams, if a guide wears or brings peach (pink and green) it means that the dreamer has the potential to be
A) A doctor
B) A teacher
C) A farmer
D) A counselor
29. Also in dreams, peach is the color of
A) Innocent love
30. Concerning flowers, peach roses signify
31. Pale peach roses are a symbol of
32. According to Holistic views, the color peach is
A) Spiritually calming
B) Physically healing
C) Mentally relaxing
D) Emotionally revitalizing
1. A) long life and immortality – The image was placed on pottery and received as a gift with great esteem.
- They actually had their beginning in China, but
travelers along caravan
routes carried the peach seed to Persia, where peaches were developed before
being cultivated in Europe. In the early 1600s Spanish explorers brought it to
the New World and then to America with the colonists.
Indians were fond of peaches and quickly spread their cultivation ahead of the
white settlements. B the 1700’s, missionaries had established peaches in
4. D) Apples
6. A) Rose
8. A) Vitamin A – And they are fat free!
9. D) Almonds are members of the peach family.
10. D) They softened too quickly – This made them unsuitable for shipping. The shift from white to yellow-fleshed peaches began with the 'Elberta', which played a pivotal role in the development of contemporary peach culture in large part because it was able to ship better than other varieties. From 1910-1930 Elberta was the only yellow-fleshed peach in the top eight cultivars. Today there are over 200 major varieties of peaches.
11. False - It would start producing fruit in about 3 years, although it may look nothing like the variety you planted.
Peachy Places (top)
12. A) Georgia AND B) South Carolina – Georgia is also known as the Peach State
13. C) Delaware
14. D) Johnston, South Carolina
15. B) The Peach Pit Restaurant
Peachy People (top)
16. C) Mackinaw peach – but in fact, no such variety exists.
17. A) Peaches
18. C) Peaches
19. B) The cartoon Rocky & Bullwinkle
20. A) A League of Their Own - The Rockford Peaches were a 1940’s all-girl baseball team on the sitcom.
21. B) Sam Peachpit
22. C) Ty Cobb – He may have been baseball's greatest player, if not the game's fiercest competitor. His batting accomplishments are legendary — a lifetime average of .367, 297 triples, 4,191 hits, 12 batting titles (including nine in a row), 23 straight seasons in which he hit over .300, three .400 seasons (topped by a .420 mark in 1911), and 2,245 runs. Intimidating the opposition, "The Georgia Peach" stole 892 bases during a 24-year career, primarily with the Detroit Tigers.
23. True – Melba Toast was also named after Dame Melba, who was clearly a “peach” as well as the “toast” of the opera. Nellie Melba was so beloved by fellow Australians that to this day her visage appears on the Australian $100 bill.
24. True – The half-bushel peach baskets were used as targets by basketball’s originator, James A. Naismith, in 1891.
25. B) The tradition of giving a peach to the friend you liked
Peachy Pastels (top)
26. A) Flesh – The name was changed in 1962.
27. B) An upbeat attitude – along with calming characteristics and good health.
28. D) A counselor - having empathy and harmony.
29. A) Innocent love - intermixed with wisdom.
30. C) Anticipation – along with desire, sincere appreciation and optimism for the future.
31. A) Modesty
32. D) Emotionally revitalizing